1. Plan ahead – Make healthy breakfasts and lunches the night before to avoid the morning rush. The whole family will benefit from having the best choices on hand, and you’ll be less likely to make last minute, unhealthy choices when hunger hits. Don’t forget to enlist help in the kitchen to spend some time together and help get everyone on board with healthy habits!
2. Break up homework and chores – In the evening, make activity a fun break from the stack of homework and list of chores. Set a timer and alternate between 30 minutes of homework and chores and 15 minutes of tag, dancing, and other family favorites! Not only is this a great way to keep sitting to a minimum, it can also help get the blood pumping and keep energy (and brainpower) high.
3. Make the most of downtime – To make weight loss part of the back to school routine, make the most of the extra minutes during the day. Take a walk around the block on your work breaks, when you’re waiting for the final school bell to ring or during the kids’ soccer practice. Any extra calories burned throughout the day are a weight loss win.
4. Add new foods to the routine – As you bet back to the school routine, start adding in fresh new foods. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, even new kinds of fish can soon become family favorites. Take turns finding new foods and recipes to try.
5. Have weight loss tools on hand – If you haven’t already, bookmark the sites and download the apps that will make weight loss routine for you. From calendar and reminder apps to tracking software and search sites like HealthyDiningFinder.com, such resources can streamline your routine.
How do you make weight loss part of the back to school routine?
Healthy Dining’s signature web and mobile site, HealthyDiningFinder.com, is the only search engine of its kind providing personalized dining out recommendations validated by Healthy Dining’s team of registered dietitians. HealthyDiningFinder.com features more than 4,000 menu choices from participating restaurants nationwide enabling diet- and nutrition- conscious consumers to find nutrition information and Healthy Dining options emphasizing lean protein, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and unsaturated fats.
HealthyDiningFinder.com also features a Kids LiveWell platform, a program developed by the National Restaurant Association, to help parents find restaurants offering healthier meals for children. With 25 years of expertise in the restaurant industry and hundreds of thousands of restaurant recipes analyzed for nutrient content, Healthy Dining is the most experienced restaurant nutrition services provider in the world.