It’s officially FALL, and with fall comes shorter daylight hours. For many families across the nation, those shorter daylight hours are jam packed with extracurricular activities, leaving very little time for Together CountsTM moments, homemade meals and quality time around the table. One of our family’s saving graces and favorite tools of the fall season is the slow cooker. Many of my own childhood memories involve walking into a house that smelled absolutely mouth watering because of the delicious meal inside.
(see also Satisfying Your Picky Eaters)
The slow cooker is a time saving wonder for many families because it’s so versatile; you can make the traditional pot roast or branch out into stews, soups, breakfasts and even desserts! With the leaves changing colors, air turning cooler and sports and other extracurricular activities – I thought that I’d share a few of my favorite tried and true slow cooker recipes with y’all.
1. Pot Roast: If you want a delicious and healthy twist on the traditional pot roast in your slow cooker – you simply MUST try out this Slow Cooker Balsamic and Onion Pot Roast from Kaylyn’s Kitchen.
2. Chili Stew: If you want something that will warm your belly and tantalize your taste buds after a chilly football game or practice, this Roasted Green Chilies Stew is perfect with some good old southern cornbread or even homemade tortillas.
3. Taco Soup: Taco Soup in the slow cooker is easy, delicious and definitely will warm you up from the inside out! Serve this over homemade cornbread or topped with cheese and chips for a wonderful and easy meal!
4. Pulled Pork: Slow Cooker Pulled Pork is a southern staple and is absolutely one of my favorite go to recipes for busy days! We serve this as sandwiches, in tacos, over baked potatoes and for breakfast with eggs. A must try recipe!
If you’re looking for something a little different to start out your busy days—here are a couple of yummy slow cooker breakfast recipes for y’all.
5. Slow Cooked Casserole: Jimmy Dean’s Slow Cooker Sausage and Egg Casserole is a winner!
6. French Toast: How about some Slow Cooker French Toast, oh yes, I’m serious!
One of my favorite benefits of slow cooker meals is that it frees up that time for you to spend and be active with your family, and there’s nothing more precious than that.
What are your favorite slow cooker meals?
Rachel Matthews is a southern belle and author of the blog A Southern Fairytale. Rachel was featured as one of Babble’s Top 100 mom blogs in 2011 and she was recently named one of the Top 50 parents on Pinterest. Rachel is a mom to two children, who she aspires to raise with good morals, good manners, open hearts and bright futures. She currently resides in Corpus Christi with her family.
Looking for more family meal ideas? Check out additional Together Counts’ resources: