Is eating healthier one of your goals for 2014? If so, you are most likely looking for new ways to add fruits and veggies to your diet. Fruits and vegetables are essential to a healthy diet, and they contribute a wide variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your meals. For those focused on health, fruits and vegetables also provide high amounts of heart- and weight-friendly fiber.
Courtesy of Fruits and Veggies More Matters, here are some creative ways to quickly and easily add a wealth of fruits and veggies to your diet and tempt family members who may still be on the fence about these nutritious gems:
- Get a jumpstart on dinner planning by filling microwave steaming bags with vegetables, one for every night of the week, or stock your freezer with frozen veggies ready for a quick meal.
- Stir low-fat granola into a bowl of low-fat yogurt. Top with sliced apples or berries.
- Mix canned spinach or frozen broccoli into your pasta dish to sneak in extra greens.
- Add diced tomatoes, cucumbers and onions to your turkey-dogs.
- Pizza for dinner? Why not! Whether you cook in or take out, pizza can be an easy option when loaded with your favorite veggies.
- Make potatoes the star of the show. Top hot, split, baked potatoes with 3-bean chili, broccoli and cheese, or grilled onions and mushrooms for a quick and filling meal.
- One night of the week, let your child be in charge of meal planning, making sure that he or she includes at least one veggie.
Healthy Dining provides Americans with the digital tools and resources necessary to find the best restaurant choices for their dietary goals and healthy lifestyles. President and founder Anita Jones-Mueller, MPH, launched Healthy Dining in San Diego, CA, in 1991 by combining the brainpower and creativity of chefs, restaurateurs, health experts, registered dietitians and communication strategists. Now, in collaboration with the National Restaurant Association and scores of partner organizations, the Healthy Dining Program has grown to become the most powerful restaurant industry nutrition initiative in the nation. Healthy Dining’s signature website, HealthyDiningFinder.com, enables millions of nutrition-conscious restaurant diners, as well as those dealing with diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity and other nutrition-related conditions, to easily find dietitian-recommended Healthy Dining and Kids LiveWell choices served at more than 60,000 restaurant locations. For more information please visit www.HealthyDiningFinder.com.
For more ideas to help spice up your meals, check out these other articles: