Is ham the centerpiece of your family’s holiday meal? They are delicious, but ham recipes can be packed with calories.
When I’m making ham for my family, I use no-calorie cola to make a sweet, great-tasting baste without additional calories!! Try this with your favorite no-calorie cola!
Evette Rios is a partner of Together Counts™, a program that inspires calorie balance from the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation. She is also host of “Recipe Rehab” on CBS. For more from Evette, visit: evetterios.com.
1 can of your favorite no calorie cola
2 cups mango juice
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup amber honey
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
Bone-in fully-cooked ham
- Score ham in diamond pattern cuts that are 1/4 inch deep. Poke center of diamonds with cloves.
- Cook ham according to directions on packaging. Tip: use aluminum foil as needed during cooking process to prevent drying.
- In the last hour of cooking, generously brush cola mango glaze onto ham. Repeat every 20 minutes until ham is cooked to proper internal temperature. Glaze should be glossy and thick at the finish. Ham should be nicely caramelized.
- Let ham rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Boil with a watchful eye until liquid turn a syrup-like consistency and darker in color.
- Whisk to prevent clumping.
- Reserve for ham.