“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.” –Luciano Pavarotti
Every March we recognize National Nutrition Month®, a nutrition education and information campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This quote from Luciano Pavarotti beautifully sums up this year’s theme of “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right.” Good food is not only the nutritious fuel we need to power our days, it’s also an integral part of our lives.
As a partner of the Together Counts™ program, we understand how important it is to make healthy food choices for the family more than just a nutritional obligation. This March, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is encouraging individuals and families to “take time to enjoy food traditions and appreciate the pleasures, great flavors and social experiences food can add to our lives.”
At home or dining out, these ideas from Healthy Dining’s own team of registered dietitians can help you and your family “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right:”
- Make it a Priority – Eating together as a family has been shown time and again to offer a variety of health benefits. It doesn’t have to be fancy, it doesn’t have to be dinner and it doesn’t have to be at the dining room table. Whatever it looks like for your family, make eating meals together a priority.
- Talk About the Food – Make eating more mindful by talking about the flavors, textures and ingredients of the meal. It doesn’t all have to be positive as long as it focuses on the food (not the cook!). This can help everyone at the table tune into the meal.
- Remember – Talk about the memories associated with the foods. Is it an old family recipe? Did you eat at this restaurant for a special event? Did one of the kids used to refuse to eat the food they now love? Did you grow this vegetable with your grandparents? Not only can this conversation help build connections to healthy foods but also to each other and your family’s history.
- Try Something New – Food is often tied to tradition. Try making healthier versions traditional meals that incorporate more veggies or wholegrains.. Don’t forget to talk about the tradition!
- Work with a dietitian – Dietitians are not just nutrition experts, they are, without a doubt, food-lovers through and through. Find a dietitian near you to get more ideas on eating right as a family.
How do you “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right” as a family?
With the average family now eating out multiple times per week, it’s just as important to make healthy choices at restaurants as it is at home. When eating out, follow tips like these to savor your meal and search for Healthy Dining and Kids LiveWell menu choices at restaurants near you.
Healthy Dining’s signature web and mobile site, HealthyDiningFinder.com, is the only search engine of its kind providing personalized dining out recommendations validated by Healthy Dining’s team of registered dietitians. HealthyDiningFinder.com features more than 4,000 menu choices from participating restaurants nationwide enabling diet- and nutrition- conscious consumers to find nutrition information and Healthy Dining options emphasizing lean protein, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and unsaturated fats. HealthyDiningFinder.com also features a Kids LiveWell platform, a program developed by the National Restaurant Association, to help parents find restaurants offering healthier meals for children. With 25 years of expertise in the restaurant industry and hundreds of thousands of restaurant recipes analyzed for nutrient content, Healthy Dining is the most experienced restaurant nutrition services provider in the world.
For more healthy ideas take a look at these other posts from Together Counts!