Summer squash was an August OrganWise Guys foods of the month and probably one of the more unique vegetables in the variety of ways that it can be eaten. As a partner of the Together Counts™ program, we really appreciate a tasty vegetable that pairs well with so many meals. In addition to some interesting facts and tips below, we are sharing some tasty recipes featuring this great food!
- “Summer” squash are in season during the summer months (hence the name!), with August being its peak growing time
- Zucchini, yellow squash and scallop squash are different types
- Summer and Winter squash belong to the same plant family, however can eat the outside (rind) of summer squash, but not winter squash because it has a very hard, thick rind
- Mexico, New Zealand, China and India are some countries that grow it
- In the United States, Florida, California, Georgia and New York are top producers
Our Favorite Healthy Recipes
- Summer Squash Casserole – Try this simple casserole as a tasty side to any main dish this summer! Remember, August is when it is most ripe!
- Healthy Zucchini Ideas – If zucchini is more your thing, try these tacos, mini pizzas, baked chips or zucchini tartine.
- Crunchy Veggie Wraps – This colorful and flavorful lunch idea includes both yellow squash and zucchini. Yum!
The OrganWise Guys Inc. began in 1993 with a vision to inspire individuals to take charge of their health by assuming personal responsibility for their choices. By bringing the body to life via lovable organ characters, kids of all ages learn what it really means to be smart from the inside out. Want to learn more about The OrganWise Guys beginnings? Check out these videos: Meet The OrganWise Guys! & How OWG Began.
For more tasty meal inspiration take a look at these other posts from Together Counts!