As a Together Counts™ ambassador, we love sharing healthy ideas that are fun for the whole family! Don’t you just love the first few weeks of summer vacation? Your kids aren’t bored yet, and there are lots of fun activities to enjoy in the sunshine and warm weather. After a few weeks though, summertime boredom can start to kick in.
Here are our five favorite active and educational ideas to get the whole family back in the happy summertime groove if boredom is looming in your household.
- Play at a park. Search your local parks and recreation department online to find some parks in your area that you may have never visited before. Have a dog? Try checking out a new dog park with the kids. Or, find a park with a nice walking trail and go on a family hike. Bonus – the shade from the trees will keep you cool on a sunny day. Just remember to pack lots of water if you are being active in the heat.
- Visit your local library. Your local library is not only an excellent resource for continuing to exercise your child’s brain during out of school time, it is also a great place to engage in local activities. Many libraries offer free or low cost summer time events like story time and other activities. Don’t forget to check out some books while you are there too!
- Try geocaching. Find a geocaching site online (http://www.wikihow.com/Go-Geocaching). Select a location that is close to you, and you are on your way to fun hidden treasures. This activity is best completed with a parent and an extra bonus – this activity involves physical activity and fresh air.
- Be a Tourist. Play tourist in your own town. Do things that a tourist would do but you haven’t yet. Walk the trails, go to the local parks, visit the children’s museum, etc. Take lots of photos too so you will have these memories for years to come.
- Go camping. You don’t need a special trip to go camping; you can do it in your backyard or even inside! Grab a tent, some healthy snacks, and be ready for some campfire stories to share with this fun “staycation” idea. If you do have a local campground nearby, it’s always an excellent option too. Sleeping under the stars can create memorable family moments.
With these activities, we guarantee you won’t be bored this summer. Try to do one a week. Before you know it, school will be starting back up again!
The OrganWise Guys Inc. began in 1993 with a vision to inspire individuals to take charge of their health by assuming personal responsibility for their choices. By bringing the body to life via lovable organ characters, kids of all ages learn what it really means to be smart from the inside out.
For more holiday inspiration, take a look at these other great articles from Together Counts!