My family loves this Sweet Potato & Coconut Soup – the flavors remind me of my family’s roots in the Caribbean! This recipe is made with sweet potatoes that are loaded with nutrients, and there’s no heavy cream.
I hope you enjoy with your family! Happy holidays!
Evette Rios is a partner of Together Counts™, a program that inspires calorie balance from the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation. She is also host of “Recipe Rehab” on CBS. For more from Evette, visit: evetterios.com.
Sweet Potato & Coconut Soup Recipe
3 tablespoons quality olive oil
2 leeks, roughly chopped and washed vigorously (a lot of dirt deposits build up between folds)
1 carrot, scrubbed, peeled, and small diced
3 medium-large sweet potatoes, peeled, and medium diced
4-5 cups vegetable broth
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
Handful of cilantro, roughly chopped + extra leaves for garnish
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pepitas, for garnish 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (reserve a few tablespoons to swirl on top for garnish)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy-bottom pot, sauté leeks, garlic, and carrot with olive oil on medium heat for 6- 8 minutes or until tender and onions are translucent. Do not brown.
- Add sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, cilantro, and spices. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Puree in batches until reaches desired texture. Soup should be creamy and thick, but still be smooth and have movement (may need to reserve some vegetable broth and add back in once pureed, as needed).
- Return soup to pot. Add coconut milk. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with pepitas, cilantro, and a light swirl of remaining coconut milk for color.