If you’re trying to keep up with end-of-year shopping sales and a long list of events on top of your regular, hectic schedule, it’s more important than ever to take care of yourself with a healthy diet and regular exercise. As a partner of the Together Counts™ program for healthy, active living, we think this strategy is a great defense against holiday burn out, sickness and stress.
Save time and eat healthy during the holidays with these tips from Healthy Dining’s dietitians:
- Pre-cut and pre-prepared are well worth the additional cost this month if it keeps you healthy and energized. Pick up bags of cut vegetables for snacking on the go, pre-cooked chicken or turkey breast for sandwiches and salads and pre-prepared frozen and deli entrées made with vegetables and lean proteins for meals. Mix and match ingredients to build a tempting dinner or grab-and-go lunch.
- Get help. Split up meal planning and preparation duties and stick to potlucks for larger get-togethers. Don’t be afraid to suggest healthier dishes guests can bring to prevent duplicates and give everyone a healthy boost.
- Restaurants rule! From family dinners to breakfast on the run, restaurants are always a great choice for a healthy meal without the preparation and clean up. Call ahead to save even more time. Most restaurants provide takeout and catering options, and many offer discounts and specials on catering for the holidays.
- Think big. If you’re cooking a healthy meal, double the recipe. If you’re ordering a meal from your favorite restaurant, order extra. Freeze the extra portions for a quick meal in the weeks to come, or use the leftovers to save time on lunch the following day.
- Move whenever and wherever you can. Try a few minutes of do-anywhere exercises like squats or wall pushups during your work day, do an extra power lap around the mall after your shopping is done, or mingle instead of sit at the next party. Exercise is good for both body and mind, and just a few minutes here and there throughout the day will really add up.
Treat yourself well this holiday season with more time and less stress. How do you save time and eat healthy during the holidays?
Healthy Dining Finder was born out of a passion to find menu choices with vibrant fruits and vegetables, hearty whole grains and flavorful lean proteins at every restaurant. Healthy Dining Finder believes that now is the time for every American to rediscover how to truly treat themselves well with all the best food, finding the health and vitality that comes from enjoying tantalizing culinary creations found at Healthy Dining restaurants nationwide.
For more healthy ideas check out these other reads from Together Counts!