For the New Year, I’ve created a delicious version of this Latino classic with less calories. Since my family has a history of health-related diseases, including diabetes, this recipe swaps ingredients to help cut down on calories. As always, use what works best for you, and enjoy!
Evette Rios is a partner of Together Counts™, a program that inspires calorie balance from the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation. She is also host of “Recipe Rehab” on CBS. For more from Evette, visit: evetterios.com.
Tres Leches Cake
2 cups Cashew Milk
2 cups Hazelnut Milk
2 cups Almond Milk
1 can no-calorie Cola
Organic Coconut Milk Frosting:
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp stevia
1 tsp almond extract
Topping for cake:
Shaved toasted coconuts
1 cup coconut flour
1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
20 egg whites
2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
- Stir liquids together in pitcher. Reserve for cake.
For Organic Coconut Milk Frosting:
- Chill coconut milk can for 4-6 hours.
- Open can. Scoop out “cream.” Reserve liquid in can for another recipe.
- Whip the cream in electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Reserve in fridge to frost cake.
- Sift granulated sugar with sifted flour. Set aside.
- In electric mixer, beat room-temperature egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar, salt, and almond extract.
- Beat again for 2-3 minutes.
- Very slowly add confectioners sugar in a stream to egg whites while mixer is on. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Sift flour mixer over egg white peaks (one quarter of mixer at a time) and carefully fold over egg whites (do not stir). Use a spatula for this part. Do not over-fold batter or it will deflate.
- Gently spoon batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees or until skewer poked in center cakes comes out clean.
- Cool for 1 hour. Remove from tube pan. Add cake to shallow rectangular baking dish to catch sauce that pours out.
- Poke small holes on top of cake.
- Pour sauce over cake and cover it evenly. Chill in fridge for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours: Remove cake from fridge. Refresh whipped coconut cream and spread on top of cake. Sprinkle shaved toasted coconut on top. Slice and serve.