We are Utah girls, and the winters here are long, with snowfall from October until April each year. With little ones, sometimes it feels like we are very literally trapped inside for seven months. As Together Counts™ Ambassadors, we love breaking out of our daily routines and anything we can do in the winter months to get outside, get fresh air, exercise and maybe a little Vitamin D, is a good idea to us!
Luckily lots of our winter days are mild ones, in the mid-fifties with sun shining. On those days, layering up and getting outside is enjoyable, you can ride bikes, or scooters, take walks, and even towel off the slide at the park. So why not pack up our warm lunches and hot drinks and have a picnic! Lay down a tarp or waterproof park blanket, set out your lunch and enjoy. While the kids enjoyed their lunches we hid extra special (spray painted) pine cones and sent them off on hunt. Give them clues and tasks to accomplish along the way, and before you know it, the kids will be rosy cheeked and out of breath. Mission accomplished! Here are some more of our new favorite snow activities:
- Build a snowman – Between rolling up tightly packed snowballs and searching for the perfect sticks to accent their new friend, this timeless winter activity is a fun way to get physical.
- Snow angels – Using muscles to push dense snow into a perfect snow angel takes energy! Make 10 in a row and you’ll be sweating!
- Tag – Keeping your footing and moving through snow helps build a strong core. Running around even for 10 minutes burns off that cup of cocoa you just drank!
- Dasher, Dasher, Rudolph (Duck, Duck, Goose) – Another activity that requires a strong core, precision and hand eye coordination! The spurts of running simulate interval training that has been proven to be better for burning calories.
- Sledding – Trudging up that sledding hill is the best work-out we get all year!
- Skiing, snowshoeing, snowboarding – Any of these activities are awesome ways to get an awesome day of activity in. You’ll feel it tomorrow!
- Snowball fight – Running, packing snowballs, ducking, sliding, your heart rate will be racing and you won’t be able to wipe the smile off your face!
Small Fry Blog is a children’s lifestyle blog that highlights the food, adventures, parties, make it yourself fun you can do with your kiddos! Nicole, Emily and Jenna make the daily decision to look past the things they did not check off the list, but focus on the simple things they can do to illuminate their lives.